St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded on June 4, 1876 in Wayne, MI. The congregation originally met in a small stone church located on Elizabeth Street in Wayne. However, pushes for “urban renewal” by the city in the 1960’s forced the congregation to relocate. They moved their school to its current Wayne Road location in 1950 and began building a new church building a few years later on the same property.
The current St. John’s church building on Glenwood Road was dedicated on February 12, 1967 along with additions to the school such as the gymnasium, kitchen, and conference room. In 1977, another building project added on four classrooms and a music room to the school.